Crunchy and slightly sweet, this Crisp Apple & Fennel Salad with Caramelized Pecans is a light and refreshing side dish that will win you over every time.
Prep Time: 10 min Cook Time: 3 min Total Time: 13 min
2 Large Apples (I used Fuji)
2 Medium Fennel Bulbs
1/4 cup Pecans, roughly chopped
1 tsp Maple Syrup
1 tsp Butter (or vegan butter, coconut oil)
1/4 tsp Cinnamon
Dijon Mustard Vinaigrette Dressing:
5 tbsp Olive Oil
Juice of 1 Lemon (approx. 3 tbsp)
1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
1 tbsp Whole Grain Mustard
Pinch of Salt
Pinch of Black Pepper
1. For the caramelized pecans: Melt the butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the pecans, maple syrup and cinnamon. Stir constantly until pecans are evenly coated in the mixture and turn golden brown, for about 3 minutes. Transfer the nuts to parchment paper or foil to cool.
2. For the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, dijon mustard, whole grain mustard, salt and pepper. Set aside.
3. Thinly slice the fennel and apples, and place into a large salad bowl. You may also use a mandolin if you have one.
4. Pour the dressing over the salad, and toss until everything is evenly coated.
5. Sprinkle the pecans over the salad. Enjoy!